For mobile purpose and fieldday/camping its very good

For mobile purpose and fieldday/camping its very good

I started with my mobile operation in the middle of the 0 years with a IC-7000, which was a nice rig. 2015 I decided to sell it and look for another one.
My purpose is do ham radio operation on holidays and some mobile operation out of my city QTH, due to distortion
So the rig should have a small form factor, VHF/UHF is not in the focus, using SSB and CW.
AFter a short period with a FT-991 and an IC-7300 (to big) I occasionally got a used FT-891.

I read about the FT-891, but even at Yahoo groups there are not so much members, so in my opinion, there is not a big community now :-).

First I took it to my shack, compared it with my K3S, so I recognized the differences.
RX in practice is well, also on a middle sized beam.
Modulation with the original mike is also well after you have done the right setup (1hour work)

CW RX is very good eventhe smallest filter setting is not producing artifacts (my FT-2000 does)

TX out is between 92 and 108 watts with 13.6 V at 12.6 V around 75 and 85 watts, so If you want to get full output use a step up converter in mobile operation. (Voltmeter is on the display)
Standby power consumation is not over 1 Ampere.
The fans are working quiet and reliablbe.

For Yaesu users the menu is well known, you can customize 3 quick bottons, which doesnt depend on the selected mode.

If you expect internal sound card (which was advertised at the coming out from some dealers) you will be disappointed, CAT interface is working fine.

For mobile operation I am using a ATAS 120A on the roof of my camping car, and thats the domain of the FT-891, with this combo you can work from 40-10m band. Tuning is done quickly.
the internal loudspeaker is ok, headphones are better.
For 80m I used a simple longwire, for tuning a little MFJ does a good job.

The DSP and filter posibilties are working very good, the display contrast is readable even in the sun.

Conclusion:
Do not expect a fine rig for big yagis, contest and digital operation :-) but if you need a small modern portable HF rig to take with you even by plane the FT-891 should be your choice, even the price is moderate

No comments:

Post a Comment


Comments may take a day to show up

Digital Ham Radio / Amateur Radio
DigitalHamRADIO@groups.io
https://groups.io/g/DigitalHamRADIO

Yaesu FT-991(A) Users Group (groups.io)
https://groups.io/g/Yaesu-FT-991

www.FT991a.com
www.FTDX10.com
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.